Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register?
Courses and workshops offered through Settlement Online are delivered by local immigrant serving agencies across Canada. Find an agency near you by looking at the agency names on the provincial pages and contact them for information about registration.
How do I create an account?
To create an account follow these instructions: Creating a Settlement Online Account,
I have an Enrolment Key; how do I enrol in a course?
To enrol in a course using an enrolment key follow these instructions: Enrolling in a Course
What is the username?
Username is the first part of the information you need to login
What is the password?
Your password is second part of the information you need to login. To see more, go to Username and Password.
What do I do if I forget my username or password?
Go to the Forgotten Password page to find out what to do if you forget your username or password.
What is a browser?
A browser is a program on your computer that you use to access the internet. Examples are Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari (Mac only).
What is a breadcrumb trail?
This is a useful navigation tool that can take you to different levels of your course. It's at the top of an online course, on the left side. Here is an example of a breadcrumb trail
- The right title shows you where you are now. In the example, you are in the activity called 2.8 Assignment - what to say?
- To the left of the activity title is the group of all similar activities, Assignments.
- Again to the left is the title of the course, Job Search Workshop, which takes you to the first page of the course.
- Furthest to the left is Home which takes you to the Settlement Online homepage.
What does default mean?
When talking about computers, default means the automatic setting for something. Usually the default is the recommended setting. Often you can change the default if you prefer another setting choice.
What does offline mean?
When you are logged into a course, you are online. You are online now in order to read these Frequently Asked Questions. When you are not on the internet, you are offline.
What is plagiarism?
Plagiarism is copying someone else's words or ideas and presenting them as your own. It is not OK to copy without permission and without citing where you copied it from. Please don't plagiarize.
What can I do if the Settlement Online isn't working well?
- Refresh or reload your browser
- Restart your computer
- Be sure you're using the Firefox browser
- Clear the history on your browser. In Firefox go to "History"
- If your headset isn't working well, make sure your computer audio is set for the headset and not the default speakers
- Wait a few hours and try again
- Email your instructor or facilitator